Click the image to view
Westlake's page on the
WHS Diploma Program
Westlake High School was authorized as an International Baccalaureate World School in March 2016 by the IB Organization. This authorization affords Westlake the ability to offer the IB Diploma Programme (DP) to 11th and 12th grade students. Authorization of the DP requires completion of the re-authorization process every 5 years. Westlake will begin the work for re-authorization in fall of 2020.
Why Offer the DP?
International research shows that there are many benefits to choosing the DP over other 16-19 curricula. For example:
- DP students are better able than their peers to cope with demanding workloads, manage their time and meet the expectations placed on them, according to one study
- Analysis of DP students in Canada, the UK and the USA found that the DP’s extended essay improves students’ approach to learning in higher education
Through the DP, Westlake is able to develop students who:
- have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge
- flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- study at least two languages (native and an additional language)
- excel in traditional academic subjects
- explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course.
Westlake DP Courses
The DP curriculum is made up of six subject groups and the DP core, comprising theory of knowledge (TOK), creativity, activity, service (CAS) and the extended essay. Through the DP core, students reflect on the nature of knowledge, complete independent research and undertake a project that often involves community service.
(click to read the subject-briefs)
Two-Year, Higher and Standard-Level Courses
- Language & Literature HL
- Spanish B SL
- French ab initio SL
- History of the Americas HL
- Biology HL
- Chemistry HL
- Mathematics SL
- Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches SL (new Fall, 2019)
One-Year, Standard-Level Courses