The Fulton County Board of Education welcomes and encourages citizens to be involved and attend its meetings. Time is set aside at each of its regularly-scheduled monthly meetings to allow Fulton County residents, businesses or organizations, or school system employees to address the Board.
The Public Comment period is designed to gain input from the public and not for immediate responses by the Board to the public comments presented. While the Board cannot assure each speaker of a specific or individualized response, the Board will consider the public comments and any supporting materials provided by speakers.
The Public Comment period will end after 30 minutes, or when all speakers signing up to speak have been heard -- whichever occurs first.
Registering to Address the Board
Up to seven (7) speakers per meeting may address the School Board. Five slots are available by calling the Superintendent's Office (470-254-6895) no earlier than two weeks of the meeting and no later than noon of the meeting day.
The remaining two slots may be filled by speakers who place their names on a sign-up sheet at the meeting site before the meeting starts. The sign-in period is between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m.
If an individual is unable to attend the meeting after signing up in advance, he/she may appoint a substitute speaker by calling the Superintendentï¿½s Office by noon of the meeting day.
Speakers will not be denied the opportunity to speak on the basis of their viewpoint; however, the public is urged to follow the school system's Issues Resolution Process before presenting issues or concerns to the Board through public comment.
Procedures for Addressing the Board
- To ensure orderly pursuit of business and to provide opportunities for input, the Fulton County Board of Education has adopted these rules found in Board Policy BCBI. Failure to follow these rules may result in termination of the speaker's comments.
- Speakers must have signed up to speak through the Superintendent's Office (470-254-6895) prior to the meeting or by registering on the sign-in sheet made available at the meeting location before the meeting begins.
- Speakers should begin their comments by stating their name, connection, or interest in the Fulton County School System, and if so authorized, the organization they represent.
- Speakers should be courteous and professional. The presiding Board officer may terminate public comments that are profane, vulgar or defamatory.
- Speakers will be heard in the order in which they signed up.
- Speakers have four minutes each and must stop speaking promptly when signaled.
- Speakers may not address confidential student or personnel matters, but may submit such concerns to the Board in writing.
- Speakers are encouraged to provide the Board with a written copy of their comments and other appropriate supporting documentation.
- Individuals may split a time slot between multiple speakers only if all such speakers have signed up to speak and are announced at the beginning of the remarks.
- An organization may sign up to speak by designating a spokesperson and one alternate who may speak only if the primary spokesperson is unable to attend.
- Individuals who speak during Public Comment at the Work Session may only speak at the same monthï¿½s Board meeting if they address a different topic and if there are spaces remaining after all non-repeating speakers have signed up.