ELA Program Overview
In Fulton County, we believe that the language arts classroom is a place where students begin to connect their own lives to the lives of others through great literature. We believe a balanced language arts program gives students opportunities to read and respond critically to literature; to write creatively, expressively, and analytically; to develop effective oral language skills; to investigate and present topics of interest using research methods; and to use media and technology to communicate for a variety of purposes.
Through our language arts program, the learner will:
- Enjoy, appreciate, and evaluate language in all its forms.
- Listen, read, view, and think critically.
- Write and speak effectively for a variety of formal and informal audience and purposes.
- Pre-write, draft, revise, edit, publish, and reflect as a means to more effective writing.
- Choose and apply appropriate reading strategies in order to analyze and evaluate written texts.