From Ms. Agans - Sent February 4, 2022
I am so excited to announce Cambridge BRIDGE to Service Day! On February 16th, our students will be given the option to do a half-day of community service as part of our RACK (Random Acts of Cambridge Kindness) Week celebration! Bears, this is a wonderful opportunity to be INVOLVED and GENEROUSLY ENGAGED in serving our community. Be BRAVE by seeking out an opportunity you enjoy while RESPECTFULLY helping others. At Cambridge, we are DETERMINED to give opportunities to our students to serve and grow. Special thank you to our Student BRIDGE to Service Day Committee and the PTSA for helping us plan out this day of giving back. We look forward to RACK Week and Cambridge BRIDGE to Service Day!
Students have 3 Options:
- Participate in Service On Campus
- Participate in Service Off Campus (they pick and provide their own transportation)
- Choose not to participate and leave campus at 1:30pm (parent permission form required)
What the day will look like:
- We will follow our Early Release Day schedule – classes end at 1:30 pm. (see Early Release bell schedule)
- Any students who choose not to participate may leave through carpool. A pre-approved absence form (see below) has been created specifically for this day/event for parent signature and verification of absence approval.
- Due to the activities, we will not be honoring checkouts after 1:30 pm.
- Buses and regular carpool will begin at 3:30 pm.
- First Service Session 1:45 pm – 2:30 pm – Student Choice of activities (see list of options below); QR codes will be used to collect information for service hour completion.
- Second Service Session 2:45 – 3:30 pm – Student Choice to move to a new location or stay at the current Service Opportunity (see list of options below); QR codes will be used to collect information for service hour completion.
- Students who wish to serve the community at a different location (hospital, nursing home, recycle center, etc.) may fill out a form showing parent permission to leave campus. The student must provide their own transportation. On Service Day, students will be given a volunteer form (see below) to be completed by the service organization to verify hours to receive credit and excuse the absence.
- On BRIDGE to Service Day, we will be posting pictures of student service on our social media accounts. Follow us at:
- Twitter: @CambridgeHS1 or @AgansPrincipal
- Facebook: @AgansPrincipal
- Instagram: agansprincipal or chsbeartalk or ptsa4bears
- After the Service Day, each student who participated will receive a certificate with service hour awards that can be used for any school or outside volunteer organization. Students will earn one hour for each service opportunity, up to two hours on campus.
- Students who participate off-campus in a service opportunity must complete at least two service hours for Service Day eligibility and attendance.
Some of the service opportunities available for students on campus include:
- Creating PPE kits for Milton and Alpharetta first responders
- Creating Child Help kits for Milton and Alpharetta first responders
- Making blankets for homeless shelters or Project Linus
- Writing letters to our military serving overseas or to people living in local elderly living facilities
- Making cards for childhood cancer patients or local healthcare workers and volunteers
- Creating first aid kits for local homeless shelters
- Creating snack packages for the Gateway Center (a homeless shelter in Atlanta)
- Grounds beautification and clean up around Cambridge, options include the Courtyard, the Stadium, the Vet Building and/or the pond, or the Baseball Field and Field House
To support the service activities, we need:
- Children’s Coloring Books or Empty Notebooks/Composition Books for Writing/Drawing
- Crayons / Markers / Colored Pencils
- Paper or Stationary / Blank Cards
- Fleece Fabric for Blankets
- Acrylic Paint
- Small Foam Paint Brushes and small disposable art paint brushes
- Disinfectant Wipes / Sprays and Paper Towels
- Trash Bags
- Potting Soil
- Shrubs / Plants
- Gardening Gloves
- Gardening Tools, Shovels, Pressure Washer – to borrow, not donate ;)
How you can help:
- If you are interested in donating any of the items above so we can create kits, letters, cards, and work on the grounds, we will accept donations in the front office on Friday, February 11th, and Monday, February 14th.
- Students may drop off donations on February 11th and February 14th during lunches at the School Store.
- If allowing our students/volunteers to use your gardening equipment or borrow equipment, please drop off and make sure your name and contact information is clearly marked on/with the equipment so that we may return it to you.
- If you would like to volunteer to help on BRIDGE to Service Day, please sign up with PTSA through the Sign-Up Genius.
- Students will use Sign-Up Genius to sign up for their service locations today through Wednesday, February 9th. Students do not need to be affiliated with a specific club/group/sport to sign up for service opportunities. Students will also have an option to choose their own service opportunity.
- Clubs/Groups/Sports will be reaching out to their members to ensure they know the service opportunities they are arranging or hosting on campus. Students should reach out to their Club President or Club Sponsor/Coach for more information.
It’s going to be a great day of service! So proud of our students, community, and PTSA for working to bring our motto to life - #BetheBRIDGE! GO BEARS!
Ashley Agans, Proud Principal of Cambridge High School
Cambridge High School PTSA
CHS Student BRIDGE to Service Day Committee: