Welcome to 6th Grade at River Trail Middle School!
We are thrilled that you are here.
Students, this is an exciting time & we hope you enjoy every day. Try to take as many opportunities as you can to enjoy all that RTMS has to offer. Middle School is an amazing time to meet new people and make new friends. The mission of River Trial Middle School is to advance your creativity, critical thinking, and citizenship by engaging you in educational and social opportunities. Here at RTMS, we are committed to working with you and your parents to ensure you are successful.
Ms. Laura Ogan, Asst. Principal - 6th Grade
A veteran of the Fulton County School System, Laura Ogan taught at River Trail when it opened in 2001 and then became an Assistant Principal in 2009. Ms. Ogan holds a master’s degree in leadership from Georgia State University.
Ms. Ogan has two daughters; Sara who is a math teacher in Florida and Anna who is in college in Virginia. Ms. Ogan enjoys spending time with her family as well as watching her daughter Anna play lacrosse.
Ms. Ogan considers it an honor to be a part of such a special, enthusiastic, and committed group of talented teachers and students. The teachers at River Trail care about their students and want to be successful both in and out of school.
Ms. Ogan wants her students to remember …
- That the challenges you overcome help to form the person you will be tomorrow.
- That perseverance is a skill, so never give up.
- That asking for help is a good thing.
- That failure helps you learn.
- That treating everyone with respect goes further then you will ever know.
- …and most importantly to always be honest with your parents, even when you know they may not like it.
Ms. Ogan wants her parents to remember…
- That times have changed and so have the challenges our children face.
- That our children need us to monitor and guide their technology use.
- That our children need to know that they are learning and that is it ok to make mistakes.
- ...and most importantly your children need to know that you will love them no matter what they do or say.
Ms. Claire Graff, Counselor - 6th Grade
Ms. Graff joined the RTMS Counseling Department in the Fall of 2017. Before joining the River Trail community, she attended Samford University in Birmingham, AL and The University of Georgia in Athens, GA. Ms. Graff earned her Bachelor's degree in Human Development and Family Science from Samford and her Master's in Professional School Counseling from UGA.
Ms. Graff grew up in Suwanee, GA and realized that she wanted to pursue a career in school counseling when she was in 7th grade! Ms. Graff is passionate about supporting students academically, socially, and emotionally. She recognizes the stressful nature of growing up and seeks to meet students where they are on their journeys through education and adolescence.
Outside of school, Ms. Graff enjoys volunteering and serving the local community. She is passionate about Suicide Prevention and Awareness and social justice causes. Ms. Graff loves music and enjoys spending time with her family and friends.
What are some things Ms. Graff does at RTMS?
- Provides individual counseling to students regarding academics, attendance, behavior, relationships, college/careers/post-secondary options, and social and emotional concerns.
- Student Ambassador Program
- Conflict Resolution and Peer Mediation
- Facilitate Signs of Suicide (SOS) Program - Suicide Prevention Program
- Collaborate with teachers, administrators, and staff to support students and families
- Help students as they transition from Elementary to Middle School
- Coordinate Rising 6th Grade events and Parent Night
- Collaborate with feeder schools and community partners
Students may request to talk with Ms. Graff by filling out a counseling request form, emailing her, or letting their teachers know they need to see her. Teachers, staff, and parents may also refer students to Ms. Graff.