River Eves Elementary is an AVID Certified School
What is AVID?
AVID is NOT just another program; it is a philosophy. When educators hold students accountable to the highest standards and provide academic and social support, they will rise to the challenge.
What AVID does...
AVID trains educators to use proven practices to prepare all students for success in high school, college, and a career, especially students typically underrepresented in higher education.
How AVID works…
AVID brings research-based strategies and curriculum to educational institutions in elementary, secondary, and higher education. The AVID system annually provides more than 30,000 educators with training and methodologies that develop students’ critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across ALL content areas.
AVID Elementary is a foundational component of the AVID College Readiness System and supports AVID’s mission and vision to provide a comprehensive model of success for all students, from elementary through higher education.
AVID Elementary Incorporates:
- Student Success Skills– communication skills (listening, speaking, writing), note-taking strategies, critical thinking, study skills, and self-advocacy skills
- Organizational Skills—students learn how to use organizational tools, as well as learn and practice skills around time management and goal-setting
- WICOR Lessons—emphasize instruction on writing to learn, inquiry, collaboration, organization, & reading to learn
- Partnerships—among students, classrooms, grade levels, schools, feeder patterns, families, and communities
Why AVID at River Eves?
AVID Elementary is immersed in the work of Dr. Carol Dweck, a leading researcher in the field of motivation. In her book Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, she writes:
“In the growth mindset, people believe that their talents and abilities can be developed through passion, education, and persistence. For them, it’s not about looking smart or grooming their image. It’s about a commitment to learning—taking informed risks and learning from the results, surrounding yourself with people who will challenge you to grow, looking frankly at your deficiencies, and seeking to remedy them.”
At REES, we believe that a growth mindset can be taught to students, and it is through the growth mindset that students succeed in following their dreams and fulfilling their aspirations.
What will AVID look like at REES?
REES will focus on the following research-based instructional strategies with the highest probability of enhancing student achievement for all students, in all subjects, in all grade levels.
- Goal setting
- Critical thinking
- Reinforce effort & provide recognition