The Achievement Zone
Keysha G. McIntyre
South Learning Center
4025 Flat Shoals Road
Union City, GA 30291
Launched in 2015, the Achievement Zone is a geographic area that makes up the Banneker High School attendance boundary in the southern end of the Fulton County School district. The Achievement Zone is designed to accelerate the school district's efforts to improve academic outcomes for the students who attend schools within the zone.
The Achievement Zone designs, coordinates, and implements strategies to close the achievement gap in the Banneker cluster by focusing on three strategic themes: Talent, Culture and Climate, and Learning and Teaching.
- Talent: We ensure all students have access to high quality learning and teaching by accelerating and concentrating initiatives to recruit, hire, develop, and retain the most talented and effective employees. View our recruitment video.
- Culture and Climate: We create student-centered learning environments where all staff and stakeholders believe unequivocally that all students are capable of achieving at high levels and assume responsibility for student success.
- Learning and Teaching: We utilize high-leverage, research-based practices and strategies to accelerate students’ learning, particularly in the area of literacy.
Schools within the Achievement Zone are committed to implementing research-based strategies which have proven successful in turnaround environments across the nation. Additional strategies will be phased in over the course of the next few years.
Student Release Days
Our focus is that all Achievement Zone students receive a quality education, thus we have extended the school day by 30 minutes. The new bell times are as follows:
- Elementary: 7:40 a.m. – 2:50 p.m.
- Middle: 8:55 a.m. – 4:35 p.m.
- High: 8:20 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
In addition, the calendar for schools in the Achievement Zone includes eight student release days when students do not report to school. The student release days are listed below:
- Friday, August 24, 2018
- Friday, September 14, 2018
- Friday, October 19, 2018
- Friday, November 9, 2018
- Friday, December 7, 2018
- Friday, January 18, 2019
- Friday, February 14, 2019
- Friday, March 15, 2019
The modified bell times and release days allow additional professional development and collaboration for staff without reducing instructional time for students.
NOTE: Banneker High School will not hold student release days during the 2018-19 school year due to its School Improvement Grant.
Schools in the Achievement Zone