• FAQs for Dual Enrollment

    Q:  Are DE students still considered students at their high school?
    A:  Yes, all DE students (both part-time and full-time) are still considered students enrolled at their high school.  They also have all rights and privileges - including participating in all sports, clubs, events, etc. - as traditionally-enrolled high school students do. 
    Q:  How many hours will be paid for by the Dual Enrollment Funding Program? 
    The Dual Enrollment Funding Cap is 30 semester or 45 quarter hours.
    All first-time students, as of Summer term 2020 and beyond, are subject to the Dual Enrollment Funding Cap.

    Students who received Dual Enrollment funding for 18 semester or less hours through Spring term 2020, are subject to the Funding Cap. For Summer Term 2020 and later, these students may receive funding for the remaining hours up to the Dual Enrollment Funding Cap of 30 semester.  Examples: A student who received Dual Enrollment funding for 15 semester hours through Spring term 2020, may receive Dual Enrollment funding for 15 semester hours, Summer term 2020 and after. 

    Students who received Dual Enrollment funding for 19 semester or more hours through Spring term 2020 have a Funding Cap of an additional 12 semester hours of funding. Examples: A student who received Dual Enrollment funding for 19 semester hours through Spring term 2020 may receive Dual Enrollment funding for 12 semester hours, Summer term 2020 and after. 


    Q: What courses are available? 
    Approved courses include:

    • Core academic areas (English, math, science, social studies and world/foreign languages) used in the high school HOPE Scholarship calculation or,
    • Career, Technical and Agricultural Education (CTAE) courses aligned with the GaDOE Career Clusters and Pathways

    The Course Directory lists all eligible courses by participating postsecondary institutions.  Course categories such as: fine arts, physical education and health are no longer eligible for Dual Enrollment funding. Please check the course listing page of this website.

    If you are taking a Dual Enrollment MATH course at GSU, please click HERE to read more specific information.

    Q: Can a student retake or withdraw from a Dual Enrollment course?
     Effective Summer term 2020 (FY2021), a student may not receive funding for the same course twice. Courses taken Summer term 2020 or later cannot be retaken and receive Dual Enrollment funding.

    ​Effective Summer term 2020 (FY2021), students become ineligible to continue to receive Dual Enrollment funding for future terms after their 2nd course withdrawal. Course withdrawals prior to Summer term 2020 are not included.

    Q: How many classes are required to be full-time DE?
    A:  Students must take 12 credit hours (typically 4 classes, each at least 3 credit hours) at the college in order to be classified as full-time DE. If a student only has 11 hours with four classes, they are required to take two additional high school classes.  DE Funding will cover tuition for up to 15 hours. 
    Q:  Can students take a course at the college level that they’ve already taken at the high school level and earn core credit?
    A:  No.  If a student takes an introductory-level college course and has already taken the same course at the high school level, the college course can only count for elective credit.  Example: Student took Government in 9th grade, if they take POLS 1101 in college, which is also Government, then the college course would count towards elective credit. Also, if a student has taken an AP version of the course (ex. AP Psychology), they could not take the same course at the college level (PSYC 1101). They could take a higher level of the course (ex PSYC 2130), however students would need to send their AP scores to the college to meet the required pre-requisites. 
    Q:  How many Carnegie units (high school credits) does each college course earn?
    A:  College courses that are 1 to 2 credit semester hours earn 0.5 Carnegie units.  College courses that are 3 to 5 credit semester hours earn 1.0 Carnegie unit.  Thus, if a student takes a 3 hour College US History course, that gives them credit for the full year and 1.0 credit of high school US History. 

    Q:  How do college grades transfer to the student’s high school transcript?
    A:  College grades transfer as A = 95, B = 85, C = 75, D = 70 (D’s are passing at the college level, so they’re given our lowest passing grade), and F = 60.  If a student takes a college course that is 3 hours or more, they will earn 1.0 Carnegie unit which is the equivalent of 2 high school semester grades earning 0.5 Carnegie unit. If a student withdraws from a course and receives a W from the college AND does not replace the course with something at the high school, a W will appear on the student's high school transcript.  If a student receives a grade of a WF from the college, the WF will show as a 60 on the high school transcript. 
    Q:  Do DE students have to take EOC’s?
    A:  DE students taking Biology for the first time and those taking American Lit to satisfy their high school graduation requirement have to take the EOC. The college grade will count 80% and the EOC will be 20% and the final calculated grade will be posted to the high school transcript.  
    Q:  Will students need to request their college transcripts be sent to their high school for their college grades to be entered on their high school transcripts?
    A:   Typically counselors receive the transcripts, however, if it is not sent by the college then the student is responsible for bringing a copy of their official transcript to the high school.
    Q:  How does DE affect students’ future HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship? 
    A:  College courses taken through DE do not count toward a student’s HOPE/Zell Miller hourly caps at the college level.  Grades earned through DE do not count toward a student’s HOPE/Zell Miller maintenance GPA that must be maintained at specific checkpoints while in college.  However, grades earned through DE are reported on a student’s high school transcript, so they do count toward a student’s initial HOPE/Zell Miller GPA (i.e. a student’s final high school GPA that may qualify them for the HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship as they enter college). 
    Q:  Will DE grades transfer to a student’s future college?
    A:  DE grades earned at a University System of GA (USG) school are guaranteed to transfer to any other USG school.  Most public schools outside of GA will accept transfer grades from USG schools as well.  Some DE grades earned at a Technical College System of GA School will transfer to USG schools - see attached chart.  However, students should always check with their future colleges to confirm their DE courses will transfer.  Colleges will typically have transfer tables available on their websites for students to confirm transferability.  You can also use the also use the GATRACS Transfer Student Planner to check to see how courses will transfer to your future college. 
    Q:  How do students send their DE grades/credits to their future college?
    A:  Students must request their transcript from the college through which they’re participating in DE to be sent to their future college for their grades and credits to transfer.  Their future college will not transfer their grades and credits solely from their high school transcript. High schools are unable to to send college transcripts to a student's future college.