Greetings 7th Grade Students and Families,
REACH Georgia is a needs-based mentoring and scholarship program providing promising students the support needed to graduate from high school and achieve post-secondary success. Students selected to be REACH scholars will be paired with a mentor who models positive behavior and provides the student with knowledge, advice, guidance, and support related to education and beyond. They will also be assigned an Academic Coach who will help ensure scholars are on track to succeed by monitoring student progress, helping students develop education and career plans, and by identifying academic and social supports. Lastly, all qualifying REACH Scholars will be awarded a $10,000 financial scholarship to assist them with paying for college upon graduating from high school.
To be eligible for the REACH Georgia Program, a student must:
- Currently be a rising 8th grader at a participating eligible Georgia middle school (note: student begins as a REACH Scholar in the 8th grade),
- Have legal status in the United States (U.S. Citizen or legal resident).
- Meet the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
- Have and agree to maintain above average attendance and behavior with no disciplinary infractions during the two semesters immediately preceding the spring term of the student’s 7th-grade year.
- Have grade reports reflecting at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in all core courses (English, mathematics, science, social studies and foreign language).
- Have and agree to maintain a crime and drug-free record.
- Have the support of a parent, legal guardian, or other caring adult.
Selection Process: The SSCMS REACH committee will review and submit five (5) qualified applications to FCS by June 4th. In mid-August a FCS selection committee consisting of community and business partners will gather to review all submissions using a scoring rubric. Only 8 applicants will be chosen as FCS Reach Scholars. FCS selection will then be submitted to the state.
Submitting Application: Complete the following componenets (documents downloadable below) and email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by 6/3/2021. INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- REACH Scholarship Application (available in Spanish)
- Academic Reference Form (available in Spanish)
- Community Reference Form (available in Spanish)
- Proof of Income according to Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
- 2-3 minute video of the student introducing themselves and explaining why they should be selected as a Reach Scholar. They should include any achievements received, extracurricular activities they are involved in, etc. This is an optional requirement but strongly encouraged.
*Please note that signatures can be typed into the document for now. In August when we return to school we will decide the best way to submit signatures.
Let us know if you have any questions.
Mrs. Barber/Ms. Letzler