- All attendance events, including excuses, doctor notes, etc., are to be reported to the RHS attendance clerk Susan Arpin at ArpinS@fultonschools.org. When possible, please keep teachers informed of any upcoming absences.
- We will continue to follow the policies for approved absences and pre-approved as outlined in the Student Handbook.
- We are not allowed to have attendance-based incentive policies nor are we allowed to connect academic grades to attendance or participation.
It is the responsibility of the student and/or parent/guardian to provide a satisfactory written excuse to the attendance office by handwritten note or email within five (5) days of returning to school from an absence. The excuse must state the date of absence, student name & ID # (lunch #), reason for the absence, parent/guardian name & signature, and phone number where the parent can be reached. Excuses will be kept on file at the school for the duration of the student’s enrollment. Students who have missed seven (7) days of school or more in a school year will be required to provide additional written verification such as doctors' statements.
Early Check Outs
Any student checking out early IS REQUIRED to provide a parent signed, written note to the attendance office before school begins. Emails and phone calls are not accepted. Please include the date, student name & ID # (lunch #), reason for checking out, parent/guardian name & signature, and phone number where the parent can be reached for parent verification. All parent notes will be verified. The student will receive a checkout pass to show their teacher when it is time to check out. Students should return to the attendance office to sign out before they leave the building. If a student is planning to return the same day, they need to sign back in through the Attendance Office. If a student is checking in or out for a doctor’s appointment, students must present a doctor’s excuse/documentation within 5 days of returning to school for the absence to be considered excused. Attendance notes WILL NOT be accepted after 5 days.
Walk in Checkouts are strongly discouraged, as you may experience a significant delay.
Students who are leaving from the clinic are reminded that they must stop by the attendance office to sign out.
Failure to check in and out through the attendance office may result in disciplinary action.
A reminder that all adults asking to check a student out of school must have a valid, government issued, picture identification. Any adult checking a student out of school must be previously identified on the school’s Student Information System as an emergency contact.
THERE ARE NO WALK-IN CHECK OUTS AFTER 3:00 P.M without prior Administrative Approval.
Early Check Outs Before Student Holidays
Due to the very high volume in the front office, it has been a longstanding RHS policy on the day preceding a holiday to allow early student checkouts up until 2:00 p.m. All students who plan to checkout prior to 2:00 p.m. must present a signed parent's note to the attendance office prior to the 8:20 a.m. bell on the day of the checkout in order to receive an off-campus pass. No phone calls, emails or faxes will be accepted.
During the 2021-2022 school year, there will be no student checkouts after 2:00 p.m. on the following dates:
Tardy to School
Students tardy to school must report to the attendance office before going to their current class. Students may not enter the classroom without a pass from an administrator or the attendance clerk. Tardies to school will follow the discipline cycle for tardies to class with the addition of loss of parking privileges if a student exceeds seven tardies to school per year. Excessive tardies are considered by the administration to be failure to follow instructions to arrive at school/class on time.
Tardy to Class
Students late to class are required to sign the teacher’s tardy book. The following disciplinary consequences will result for tardies to class and unexcused check-ins to school:
- 1 to 3 tardies- Teacher warning/detention
- 4 to 6 tardies- Public detention
- 7 to 9 tardies- Friday School
- 10 or more- I.S.S. Cumulative Tardies to All Classes
- 11 or more tardies – I.S.S
Documentation of Absences
- After three (3) consecutive absences, late arrivals, or early checkouts for an illness, a doctor’s note will be required.
- After seven (7) cumulative absences and/or 10 cumulative late arrivals or early checkouts, a doctor’s note will be required for any subsequent illness-related absences, late arrivals or early checkouts.
- If there is an on-going medical circumstance that requires a student to be absent, late, or checkout early from school frequently or intermittently, a doctor’s note will be required to address medical concerns and need for absences.
- In the event of a serious illness in the student’s immediate family, schools may require students to present medical documentation regarding the family member upon return to school for validating the excused absence, tardy, or early checkout
Truancy and Class Cuts
Truancy, class cuts and leaving campus without permission are considered major violations.
Illness at School
Students who do not attend class due to illness at school must report to the clinic immediately. Failure to do so constitutes a class cut.
NOTE: A PREAPPROVED ABSENCE IS NOT NECESSARILY AN EXCUSED ABSENCE.
Approved absences will be limited to six days for an entire school year. However, preapproved absences will not be granted during the final two weeks of the semester. The final decision for approving an absence rests with the principal.
If it is known in advance that a student will be absent, a parent note should be submitted to the attendance office, handwritten or by email, one week (5 school days) prior to the absence. Please include student name, grade, dates of absence, reason for absence, and available supporting documentation. After the Request for Prearranged Absence has been reviewed by the principal, the parent/guardian will be notified by email of the principal’s decision. Please inform all teachers of your pending absence whether approved or not approved.
PREAPPROVED ABSENCES ARE NOT GRANTED AFTER THE DATE OF THE ABSENCE.
11th and 12th graders (9th and 10th graders are not eligible) who are planning on attending college may take up to six college visitation days prior to May 1. No college visitation days will be granted during the final two weeks of the semester.
A parent note must be submitted to the Attendance Office three days prior to the visit to receive a two-part college visit form. The student must complete and return the College Visit Request form by email to the attendance office at least one day prior to the visit. Once this completed form is received, the Confirmation of College Visit form will be emailed back. The student takes this form with them to the college visit for completion. Once the college visit is completed, please email or bring to the completed Confirmation of College Visit form to the Attendance Office within five days of returning to school. Failure to complete proper paperwork, within the set time frame, will be result in an unexcused absence.
Siblings and friends will not receive an excused absence to attend a college visit.