Crabapple Middle School
Background of Project
SPLOST, the one-penny education sales tax, calls for a replacement Crabapple Middle School. Originally, the plan was for the school to be rebuilt on its current site. However, Fulton County Schools began considering additional options in Spring 2018 due to construction challenges. These included sitework complications related to building over a stream on the existing property as well as challenges with the three-year phasing plan that would keep students and staff on the site while the new school was built. These increased costs led the school district to reconsider other options and place the project temporarily on hold.
A 29-acre parcel of available land was identified on Woodstock Road near the intersection of Jones Road, and will become the new location for Crabapple Middle School. This new location reduces construction challenges and eliminates the disruption that could occur during phasing and trying to build while students and staff are on the current site. It is expected that the school will continue with its original opening timeline of August 2021.
Presentations and Documents
- October 9, 2018 board work session (includes site plan and illustrations)
- October 17, 2018 presentation at BOE Member Katha Stuart's community meeting
- October 29, 2018 community meeting presentation at Crabapple Middle School
- Minutes from June 2019 meetings with homeowners adjacent to new site
- Information about new location for Crabapple MS site
- Aerial view of site plan
- Site layout
- Exterior images
- Construction schedule
In The News