Language Arts Department
In Fulton County we believe that the language arts classroom is a place where students begin to connect their own lives to the lives of others through great literature. We believe a balanced language arts program gives students opportunities to read and respond critically to literature; to write creatively, expressively, and analytically; to develop effective oral language skills; to investigate and present topics of interest using research methods; and to use media and technology to communicate for a variety of purposes. In addition to the county’s English Language Arts philosophy outlined above, Roswell HS Language Arts/English department also strives to assist students in finding their own unique voice through student publications and speech/forensics classes. We collaborate not only within our own department of professionals and content-area experts, but also with other departments to ensure students are destined for success both here and beyond the halls of Roswell High.
Through our language arts program, the learner will;
- enjoy, appreciate, and evaluate language in all its forms.
- listen, read, view, and think critically.
- write and speak effectively for a variety of formal and informal audiences and purposes.
- pre-write, draft, revise, edit, publish, and reflect as a means to more effective writing.
- choose and apply appropriate reading strategies in order to analyze and evaluate written texts.