The purpose of the School Governance Council is to provide parents, school staff, and community members with a leadership role in the management of the school. The School Governance Council is a governing body that is representative of the community and the school, but operates under the control and management of the Board of Education. The Council is responsible for making decisions regarding the strategic direction of the school including:
- Approve the school strategic plan and updates
- Approve the annual budget and annual resource allocations
- Manage the Request for Flexibility process
- Participate in hiring the principal (in the case of a vacancy)
- Provide annual feedback on principal performance.
Next Meeting Date
Meeting Location & Committee Members
All SGC Meetings will be held from 7:45-8:45 AM in Mission Control, unless otherwise specified.
Our community may use the link above to join the SGC meeting on the specified date and time.
2022-23 Meeting Dates
- August 16, 2022
September 20, 2022
- October 18, 2022
November 15, 2022
December 13, 2022
January 17, 2023
February 14, 2023
March 21, 2023
April 18, 2023
May 16, 2023
SGC Committee Membership
The School Governance Council is responsible for three committees.
Kate Maloney (Committee Chair)
Andy Piper (Committee Chair)
Principal Selection Committee
Briana Curry (Council Chair)
February 2023 Update
Lots of things happening in the world of the School Governance Council (SGC) this month...
SGC APPROVES 2023-24 BUDGET PRIORITIES. One of the primary responsibilities of the SGC is to advise on the school's budget priorities and to allocate the flexible charter school funding. The SGC met on February 14 for a detailed review of the 2023-24 budget priorities. We are happy to report that next year's budget includes funding to address many of the priorities that were highlighted in the recent parent survey:
- Increased funding for counseling support, including a dedicated part-time college counselor
- Increased funding for lunchtime math and science tutoring, which will include opportunities for IA students to serve as tutors with faculty oversight
- Funding of the IA Bridge Program (previously endorsed by the SGC) to provide orientation to incoming 9th graders and to support the Health credit requirement
- Designation of an administrative role to be focused on the design and management of flexible learning opportunities (Flex Fridays and other events)
In addition, the SGC allocated the remaining flexible charter dollars to three key priorities, which align with Principal Kent's requests:
- $17,000 to fund build-out of student learning hubs
- $15,000 for build-out of teacher workrooms to provide greater privacy and comfort for faculty
- $7,200 previously approved for faculty design-thinking training
SGC ENDORSES OFF-CAMPUS LUNCH FOR SENIORS. The SGC approved a Request for Flexibility Waiver, championed by Student Government, that would allow seniors to have off-campus lunch during the 2023-24 school year, subject to eligibility requirements. The waiver must still be approved by the school district. Stay tuned for updates!
SGC ELECTIONS ARE COMING UP. There is an opportunity for parents to declare their candidacy for membership on the SGC for a 2-year term. The deadline is March 24. Details on how to declare and the SGC's responsibilities are available the IA SGC website HERE.