SHS General Information

  • The Student Health Services (SHS) Team delivers health services and programs through a team approach utilizing the Registered Nurses and Clinic Assistants in the clinics and School-Based Health Centers. Our Registered Nurses and Clinic Assistants work together to provide care for students and to serve as a resource for all health-related issues. SHS believes optimal learning requires good health. Research shows there is a clear connection between school nursing services and student academic success.

    Healthy Children…Learn Better!

    Health Services Information

    The school should be informed if your child has a medical condition or chronic illness, requires assistance with medication, or for any medical procedure or treatment.

    When possible, medication should be taken at home, including all non-essential medications such as vitamins, herbals, essential oils, and narcotic pain medications. However, if medication must be taken at school, on a field trip or during a “before or after” school chaperoned activity, parents must provide all medications (prescribed and over-the counter) in accordance with Fulton County Schools Medication Administration Policy and Guidelines.

    The parent/legal guardian must complete an authorization and instruction form entitled “AUTHORIZATION TO GIVE MEDICATION AT SCHOOL SHS-1 Form”. For all prescription medications, a healthcare provider must also sign the form. The school cannot give medications without the authorization form. The same form is used for prescription and non-prescription medications. Medication Authorization Forms are valid for one/current school year. A separate form MUST be used for each medication.

    If your child has a medical condition such as asthma, a severe allergy or another health-related condition that requires self-administration of medication, or needs to carry an emergency medication (Epipen, Diastat, Inhaler, Glucagon, etc.), or has an approved legitimate reason to carry a medication on his/her person, you must complete and submit to the school clinic an "Authorization for Students to Carry Medication SHS-2 Form". This form must be signed by the healthcare provider, parent and student.

    Over-the-Counter (OTC) medications have different requirements. Refer to the annual Health Services Information Letter.

    It is the parent or legal guardian’s responsibility to keep the student’s health and contact information (telephone numbers, address, etc.) updated.

    By working together, we can strive to ensure the health and well-being of every student so that he/she can benefit from the education program.


  • If a student must take medication during the school day, on a field trip, or during a school chaperoned "before" or "after" school activity, an "Authorization To Give Medication At School" form must be completed. Please remember the following requirements:

    • Medications (both prescription and non-prescription) must be in the original labeled container. No baggies, foil, etc.

    • Parent/guardian must provide specific instructions, as well as the medication and related equipment.

    • It will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian to inform the school of any changes with the medication--new medication or new doses will not be given unless a new form is completed.

    • All medication should be taken directly to the clinic by the parent and/or student.

    • Unused medication will be disposed of unless picked up within one week after medication is discontinued.

    • School employees will not assume any liability for supervising or assisting in the administration of medication.

    • Completion of the "Authorization for Medication" form authorizes Student Health Services to discuss the medication order/request with the prescribing health care provider if indicated.

  • McClarin Cluster School Nurse:

    Patricia Cannon. RN


    South/Central Learning

    Clinic Assistant:

    Dr. Wares


    Clinic Hours:

    8:45 AM - 4:00 PM

SHS Cold and Flu