Welcome To Student Health Services
Student Health Services Believes:
"Children must be healthy to be educated, and educated to be healthy"
Dr. Jocelyn Elder, Former U.S. Surgeon General
Student Health Services (SHS)
This department believes that optimal learning requires good health. SHS works to ensure the health and well-being of students and staff by developing, implementing, and delivering school health services and programs. The office includes a Coordinator, Professional Assistant III, and 23 Registered Nurses (17 Cluster Nurses and 6 Special Education Nurses).
All bring years of pediatric and healthcare experience.
SHS delivers school health services through a team approach with registered nurses and clinic assistants who work in the school-based clinics. Student Health Services serves as a resource for all school health related issues.
Programs and Services
- Oversight of the school-based clinics
- First Aid and CPR Training
- Coordination of the district Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Program
- Immunization audit compliance oversight and assistance
- Oversight of State Mandated Screenings
- Provide health education and inservice trainings
- Promotion of wellness activities
- Management and prevention of communicable diseases
- Emergency care and crisis intervention
- Provides direct care to medically fragile students
Student Health Services and Academic Success
There is a clear connection between school nursing interventions and student's success in classrooms. School Nurses help:
- Manage acute and chronic illnesses
- Reduce the number of students sent home sick and reduce unnecessary absenteeism due to health related issues
- Establishing policies and procedures for school health issues and procedures
- Provide and coordinate school health screenings (vision and scoliosis)
- Identify and address health related barriers to learning
- Support nutritional, comfort and clothing needs
Clinic Assistant: Monica Holloway
WHS Clinic Location: Room 207
Hours of Operation: 8:20AM- 3:30PM
470.254.6400 (ext. 46417)