2015 South Fulton Redistricting
Each time a redistricting effort is under way, the school system holds a series of meetings to gather information needed to draft a redistricting proposal that best meets the community's needs. Unlike other school systems, Fulton uses a process that encourages public discussion before developing a proposal. This allows the community to have maximum input in how the proposed attendance lines are created.
Three community meetings are set to address the redistricting process for two new elementary schools planned for South Fulton. One of the schools ("Derrick Road Elementary School" – official name to be determined) is already under construction on Derrick Road in unincorporated Fulton County and is scheduled to open in August 2016. The second school, scheduled to open in August 2017, will be a replacement for the current C.H. Gullatt Elementary School.
Timeline for Redistricting Process
Meetings will be held at Westlake and Banneker High Schools. All meetings began at 7:00pm and ended at 9:00pm.
Westlake High School (2400 Union Road SW, Atlanta 30331)
Banneker High School (6015 Feldwood Road, College Park 30349)
||| Forum One|| Forum Two|| Forum Three|
|Westlake HS||Thursday, October 15th||||Thursday, December 10th|
|Banneker HS||||Thursday, November 12th|||
- Forum One - October 2015
- School system staff outlined the redistricting process and established ground rules for facilitated small-group input sessions.
- Participants moved to small-group sessions and gave input related to the redistricting criteria.
- Staff reviewed public comments and applied Board-approved redistricting criteria to develop alternative attendance zone plans prior to the next community forum.
Round 1 Agenda (English) Round 1 Agenda (Spanish)
Round 1 Presentation
Round 1 Online Comment Form (Online comments for Round 1 closed on October 22, 2015 at 11:00 pm)
Round 1 Meeting Comments
- Forum Two - November 2015
- Staff presented alternative proposals that were developed with established criteria and community input from the first forum.
- Community members commented on strengths and weaknesses of each plan in facilitated small-group discussions.
- Prior to the next community forum, staff condensed the number of attendance zone alternatives based on public input.
Round 2 Agenda (English) Round 2 Agenda (Spanish)
Round 2 Presentation
Round 2 Handout
Round 2 Online Comment Form (Online comments closed at 11:59 pm on Monday, November 16, 2015)
Round 2 Map A
Round 2 Map B
Round 2 Map C
Round 2 Meeting Comments
Round 2 Online Comments
- Forum Three - December 2015
- Staff presented a draft proposal for new attendance zones.
- Community members commented on strengths and weaknesses of the plan in facilitated small-group discussions.
- Staff used comments to develop a final attendance zone recommendation for Board consideration.
Round 3 Agenda (English) Round 3 Agenda (Spanish)
Round 3 Presentation (Will be available on Friday, December 11, 2015)
Round 3 Handout
Round 3 Online Comment Form (Online comments closed at 11:59 pm on Monday, December 14, 2015)
Round 3 Draft Plan
South Fulton Final Recommendation Map
South Fulton Approved Packet
South Fulton Approved Map
The Fulton County Board of Education is scheduled to vote on the new attendance zones in February 2016. Changes in elementary school attendance zones will go into effect in August 2016